Are you wondering how to smoothly transition from an old iPhone to a new one? Look no further! This guide will explain how to switch iPhones quickly and easily.
If you have purchased a new phone because your old one was broken and needed iPhone repair, or if you have upgraded to the next generation, you’ll need to know how to transfer your data and settings in an easy way. Here’s how:
- Open the Settings app on your old iPhone.
- Choose your Apple ID. You’ll see it at the top of the menu next to your name and image, if you have added one.
- If you aren’t signed in, select “Sign in to your iPhone” type in your Apple ID and password, then tap Sign in.
- Tap iCloud, which will be in the second section of the menu.
- Choose the data you want to back up. Look at the apps listed under the “Apps Using iCloud” area, like Contacts, Photos, and Calendar. Slide any type of information you want to transfer to your new phone on to the “on” position.
Any information that is set to “off” (colored white) won’t be backed up and transferred to your new phone.
- Scroll down and choose iCloud Backup. You’ll find it at the bottom of the “Apps Using iCloud area.”
- Slide iCloud Backup to “On” if it isn’t already.
- Select Back Up Now, located at the bottom of the screen. This will invoke a manual backup of your old phone.
- Wait until your backup is finished.
- Select iCloud, located in the upper-left corner of the screen, which will take you back to your iCloud settings page.
Switching to your new phone with iCloud
- Turn on the new phone and complete the process to get your phone set up.
- You’ll be prompted to select information like your language, wi-fi network, country and more.
- Choose Restore from iCloud Backup when you are asked to select a way to setup your new iPhone during the setup process. Doing this will transfer information from your old iPhone to your new one.
- Select Next, located in the upper-right corner of your iPhone screen.
- Type in your Apple ID and password.
- Tap an iCloud backup – be sure to select the one that is most recent.
- Select Restore. The data that you have backed up from your old iPhone will begin to transfer to your new iPhone.
- Wait until your new iPhone reboots after it is done restoring your data.
- When your phone restarts, it will be ready to use.
Switching your iPhone Using iTunes
- Connect the old iPhone to your computer by using the USB cable you received when you got your device.
- Open iTunes, if it doesn’t automatically launch when your device is connected.
- Click on your iPhone. An icon for your iPhone will show at the top of the screen once it is recognized by iTunes.
- Click the button located next to “this computer.” You’ll find it in the “Automatically Back Up” section.
- If you would like to back up your passwords, Health and Activity data or Homekit data, tick the box that says “Encrypt iPhone backup” and choose a password you will remember.
- Click on Backup Now. You’ll find it on the right side of the window under the “Manually Backup and Restore” area.
- Wait a few minutes while iTunes finishes saving and backing up your data.
- Click Eject, and disconnect your phone from your computer. You’ll find the eject button to the right of your phone’s name. Disconnect the phone by unplugging your USB.
- Power off the old iPhone.
Switching to your new Phone with iTunes
- Turn on your iPhone by holding down the lock button.
- Go through the initial iPhone setup process. You’ll be prompted to choose a language, country, location services preferences, and more.
- Choose Restore from iTunes backup – it will be listed as an option to set up or restore your new phone.
- Connect your new iPhone to the same computer. Use the cable that came packaged with your new device.
- iTunes will recognize the new iPhone and show “Welcome to your new iPhone.”
- Choose “Restore from this backup” button and choose the most recent one.
- Click continue and iTunes will begin to transfer information from iTunes to your new device. After it reboots, your new iPhone will be ready to use.
What Can You Do With Your Old iPhone Once You Have Transferred Your Data Over?
You have a couple of options. You can give your iPhone away to someone close to you, you can sell it on eBay, or you can bring it to an iPhone repair shop that might be interested in purchasing your phone, to sell it as refurbished, or to use it for the parts.
Congratulations! You have completed the process of setting up your new cell phone. Now that you have switched your iPhones, you’re able to sit back and relax as you enjoy your new iPhone.