What is a Roadworthy Certificate?
A roadworthy certificate is the one which is required when a vehicle is sold or when a re-used vehicle is to be re-registered. This is a very helpful step as roadworthy certificates helps to eliminate poorly maintained cars. This also helps to minimize traffic regulations on the road. It is also a very important certificate for the public on the road. When your vehicle has a roadworthy certificate then it means that your vehicle is in a perfect running condition.
Roadworthy Certificate includes certification of following items –
- Steering, suspension and braking system
- Seats and seat belts
- Lamps and reflectors
- Windscreen including windscreen, wipers, and washers
- Structure of the vehicle
- Safety related to engine, body, chassis
Who Needs a Roadworthy Certificate?
A roadworthy certificate is required in one of the following conditions –
- In case of selling a vehicle
- In case of re-registering a vehicle
- Part of the periodic inspection
- To clear a vehicle defect notice
Who can issue a roadworthy certificate?
Any licensed vehicle tester can issue a roadworthy certificate. Other than this even a garage or a service station can also issue the roadworthy certificate.
Roadworthy Certificate: Procedure
Obtaining Roadworthy certificate is quite easy. It involves the following procedures –
- The vehicle must undergo a strict inspection, to obtain a roadworthy certificate. This is done to ensure that the vehicle is free from wear and tear and different kind of deterioration’s.
- Post vehicle certification, the vehicle will be ranked and will be awarded some score.
- Based on this score, a roadworthy certificate is provided to the vehicle.
Importance – Roadworthy Certificate
Roadworthy certificate is very important to know that your vehicle is in perfect condition or not. Vehicle’s safety, emissions, and other factors are also important to ensure that the efficient standard of the vehicle is maintained. And when a roadworthy certificate is awarded to a vehicle then it is qualified as a vehicle in a perfect condition.
Cost – Roadworthy Certificate
The cost of obtaining a roadworthy certificate varies from country to country. And, it depends on the size and type of the vehicle. Also, the roadworthy certificate cost is dependent on the number of years vehicle has been used.
Reasons – Roadworthy Certificate
A roadworthy certificate is required for the following reasons –
- To identify the vehicle if it gets stolen
- Ensure that the vehicle doors are in correct shape
- Test the electrical system of the vehicle and ensure that it is working properly
- Ensure that the car seats are perfect and secure
- Windows are equipped with safety glass and window winders
- Brakes are in perfect working and healthy condition
- Safety belts are in perfect working condition and the safety belts have SABS or other marks also
- For the inspection of wheel’s tread and spare
- Ensure the effectiveness of fuel tank and the fuel tank has a cap on it
- The vehicle has no sharp edges that have the capacity to injure people
Roadworthy certificates are a comprehensive way to ensure that your vehicle is in a perfect condition. Once your vehicle has a roadworthy certificate, then it means that your vehicle is fit to travel on road. The certificate ensures that even after years of service, your vehicle is completely safe to be driven on road and it will not cause any damage to the people walking on the road. Plus, roadworthy certificates also ensure that vehicle is perfect for reuse also.